Tuesday 22 April 2008

ASSUMPTIONS



Last Tuesday afternoon, a wagon parked up outside PYF, and on the driver's seat, a lovely hand knitted blanket caught my eye. 
I was struck by how homely the seat looked, and how the ice cream colours made the whole vehicle appear rather jolly.  I swiftly made the assumption that the lorry was driven by a man, and the blanket knitted by a lady who loved him, and was cooking up a plate of fish fingers in anticipation of his return...
Not trusting my assumption, and feeling cheeky I thought I'd investigate the matter further. Closing time came, and our driver did not return so I wrote him a letter and left it on the wind screen wiper. It basically said  " You are parked outside a knitting shop and we are interested in your blanket. Who knitted this for you? Why do you like it? Where did it come from and where have you taken it? I like to write about knitters on my blog. If you don't wish to answer, then I apologise and do have a safe journey home..."
And I waited.
Wednesday evening about 8pm, John posted a letter under our door. He thanked me for my saucy letter and said that his work mate's mother in law had made it and he liked it because it helped him pull the ladies. Then he left his number and offered to take me for a drink.
In my naivety, I was surprised.  The knitting mother in law had no name and was not credited. 

Maybe it is unfair of me to turn down John's offer of a drink. The story I wanted was his work mate's and he was the one driving the wagon the day a girly letter landed on his screen .  

I conclude that his assumption's were as wrong as mine, and the way he saw that blanket was again, different to mine.  I fear we might clash as much as the colours. What a thought provoking blanket. I am plucking up courage to find out more.

No comments: